At Now We're Talking Speech Pathology I provide services to children of all ages who have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
Typically children with ASD can have difficulties with communication skills, social skills and repetitive and restrictive behaviours. I focus on all areas of interaction and communication development to encourage appropriate development and acquisition of these skills.
Along with traditional approaches to intervention I use an Applied Behaviour Approach. This is generally acknowledged as the most effective treatment approach in working with children with ASD. I focus on developing communication skills, social interactions and reducing repetitive/restrictive behaviours. In addition to this I am Hanen Trained and I have had experience working with Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS) and Makaton key word signing.
Areas targeted may include:
- Delayed language development
- Delayed vocal development
- Using language appropriately
- Learning to request and comment appropriately
- Decreasing frustration behaviours
- Reducing echolalia (repetition of words and phrases)
- Understanding use of non-verbal communication skills including eye contact
- Understanding appropriate behaviours and responses in social communication
- Understanding and expressing emotion
- Play skills and interacting
- Increasing flexibility in routines
- Reducing repetitive vocalisations
- Reducing repetitive play sequences